Friday, April 07, 2006

You Have Got To Be Freaking Kidding Me

So, I called the 3 Day Walk for cancer of Tampa.

I wanted to support the cause, I love long walks or runs sometimes, nothing wrong, right? Well.
I come to find out that in order to participate as an individual walker, I must raise over two thousand cojones, and if i am part of a team, then more cash must be shelled out.

What the hell are they thinking?!!!

From a business prospective, the lower you set that goal, the more people that will be able to participate or be willing to donate, it is a simple game of numbers, but the geniuses in charge of the event figure their own conclusion.
I was really wanting to walk and help with some cash, but I can not go on to steal money from people, to feed the cancer pimps.

I really got pissed about this. Here I am saying to myself:
"Hmmm, maybe I can donate some 200 bucks and then go have fun walking" Hell no, I gots to get the 2200 bucks to even come close!!!

That is it for me with the bastards running these shows, if people in desperate need of help are not getting any, they can thank their event coordinators.
By the way, if you want to know how to raise money, they got it all covered with books, videos and training.

On the other hand if any of you righteousmongers thinks that I am being unreasonable, go ahead and start the direct deposit allotments to my ripoffgoodpeople account in Niger.

PS or BS: I don't want to hear about how much is admin costs and this and that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

That reminds me of the time I called a charity and asked if they needed volunteers. They couldn't help me with volunteering, but told me where I could sent the checks.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Ben Harcos said...

And you won't hear about admin costs here. That is a crying shame what they are doing!!

I went to the website and flags went up. Whenever I see a shop that sells merchandise telling that a "portion" of the profit goes to charity I think: How little? Can't they be specific?

Also read the registration thing and I think the money part is an offense in print.

Well done, Q. This is another one of those things that HAVE to be highlighted in order to make them go away over time.

6:56 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

Q i am flummoxed by that image (!) (?)

once there was this big snit that happened here when an animal shelter lost its AC system and also a school in the area did too. tons of gift money came to the animal shelter and very little to the school/ so in the paper's editorials people were ragging on the folks that had given money for the animals and not the school! (never mind the school gets the tax dollars and the shelter was non profit)

the curious thing to me was why would people criticise anyone who gives of their time or money to whatever cause freely and with good faith? goodness is goodness, small doses, large sums, for animals, for trees, for snail darters.

now the attitude of this organization has lost a willing player in you, and thats a sorry waste.

/grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

9:41 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Right on!

1:59 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

throw your generosity on some animals in need. they dont talk back or make up BS rules. thanks for trying Mr. Q. maybe you can do something one on one for those in need. how is your lovely florida looking this spring? and where is your next blogpix? too busy being a secret agent to do the art?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Mr Q said...

Folks, maybe I was a bit "harsh" on the comment when talking about admin costs; i'm aware that they are real but in this particular case i think not. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not being unreasonable.

GN, request has been granted.
Bogs, yeah, better hurry and find those, you have 4 days to postmark, or maybe 6?

5:23 PM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

tsk!tsk!tsk!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

hahaha - a few years back i did the Avon 3-day Walk for Breast Cancer. I had to raise about 2gs to participate - I pulled it off - and did the walk - quite an experience...

what these big events are selling is NOT good deeds - it's the challenge - the experience. I will admit, when i signed up, it wasn't about breast cancer at all - it was about me - could i walk 20 miles a day for three days a week? i was looking for something - not sure what - and the challenge filled the need. if i'd been a position to cough up the dough without raising it - i would have.

these are, in some ways, vanity walks.

and yet...

i met some incredible people along the way - so in part - that's what is being sold as well.

and breast cancer research got some big bucks as well.

there's a place for this sort of thing...though i've been there and done that.

but - for grant - remember - volunteering is great - but organizations need money - maybe that outfit you contacted had its full of volunteers but needed money. it happens.

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home